12.20.2010

John Robshaw Chit Chat, Studio Tour & Spring 2011 Sneak Peak

As any true textile addict would be, I have been dying for the opportunity to visit the John Robshaw showroom in NY and to meet John in person. Recently, I had the chance to do just that. I had a lovely time with him and was flattered that John spent so much of his morning with me. We chit chatted about our common love for India, where I lived as a child and where he travels to many times a year for inspiration and product development, and just about textiles in general - our mutual passion. Rather than provide another interview about John's background (there are several excellent ones out there already, both in print and online... I like this one from Apartment Therapy), I'm going to take you on a tour of John's studio, including several sneak peaks from his new Spring 2011 line. It's such an incredibly visually stimulating place, that I know you all will love seeing it.


Like so many of you, I have been deeply inspired by John and his work for several years. However, let me just say that nothing can truly prepare someone like me for entering into his creative space. At that moment, it felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be in the world and it was the most perfect festival for all of my senses. Surrounded by nothing but vibrant, beautiful textiles - both new and very, very old, layer upon layer of varying colors and textures, gorgeous light streaming through the windows, soft Indian music playing in the background, and even the scent in the air eluded to John's exotic travels (it was, after all, Alora's Vetiver, which was inspired by John's trips to Indonesian open-air bazaars. Smoky, earthy and divine). Note: Pictures hardly do this experience justice, but please allow me to show you around...
Step off of the elevator, and you are greeted by this very cool carved wood logo (above) and John's printing cloth paintings (below) which have been applied to the walls like wallpaper.
Once you enter the studio, you are rewarded with a bursts of color everywhere - like on this darling bench, scattered with pillows made with antique fabrics. I felt like such a kid in a candy store - couldn't decide where to start or what to look at first! You can just imagine, right?
Walk down the hallway, adjacent to huge windows letting in the most perfect filtered light, and you will find walls cascading with fabric on your way. Luscious. 
These bright and cheery corals are part of the brand new Spring 2011 line. Mmmmm.
Plus many of the lovely staples that are a part of the existing collection.




Keep on meandering down this hallway, and you'll find lots of little treasures along the way.
Until, ultimately, you reach the main part of the showroom - a large and lovely open space with several bed vignettes and plenty of seating, abundant with plush pillows (but, of course!) This is where John and I sat and chatted.
I fell pretty in love with this grassy green number called Ludoli, also part of the Spring line.
The Gent's Stripe sheets are new this Spring too and come in Moss (shown here) and Indigo, a heavenly hue of sky blue.
The combination of the Periwinkle shams with the Dove Turban coverlet and Indigo Dip throw pillows on this bed is really pretty, without being too feminine. 
More pretty...
As an aside, I had so much fun playing around with my new camera in John's space! I love how this shot below turned out with just the tippy top of a gold plated chair showing in front of two coverlets. So elegant.
The Sheesha pillows atop this bench upholstered in radiant metallic Goa Pearl fabric was unbelievable. I've been eyeing the Sheesha pillows for a few years, and after seeing them in this setting I finally bought one. It was time... this pillow has been on my wish list for way too long. What from John's collection is on your wish list?... or have you already purchased and have a love affair with? 
Antique textiles made into pillows. Be still my heart.

And speaking of antique textiles, there are lots and lots and lots of them here. One more special and beautiful than the next.
You could spend all day going through these fabulous piles of antique fabrics and daydreaming about how you would use them, paired with John's new pieces, to redecorate every room in your house. Uhhh... does it sound like I'm speaking from experience? Because that's pretty much how I spent my most perfect morning here! 
Another cozy sitting area.
Something else I adore from the Spring line are these hand stitched Kantha coverlets. It's so refreshing to see a Kantha that is neutral and calm. Don't get me wrong, I love traditional colorful Kantha's like these, but I just think that the white base is an interesting and modern twist. Note: please excuse the lighting in this shot - it's a bit yellow-tinged, but these coverlets are pure white with subtle colored stitching.
More fun goodies from the Spring line. Irrwadi linen and cotton embroidered pillows.
Really pretty fabric covered picture frames.
Dopp Kits, Duffle Bags and Tote Bags.
...and so much more, like window sheers, shower curtains, robes, and kurtas (which, incidentally, will look darling with skinny jeans and a pair of tall boots this winter, or with flip flops at the beach this summer) all of which you can see here in the Spring 2011 catalog

Happy shopping! 
For all Spring items, you may pre-order now but items won't ship until early February. 

So that concludes my little tour. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I loved showing it to you.

Next time you are in NY (or if you are lucky enough to live there), be sure to call to make an appointment to stop by their showroom or visit the newly expanded John Robshaw shop within ABC Carpet & Home. It will be worth every minute of your time to experience this in person.

A huge thanks to John...
John and me

...and to the lovely Meredith who coordinated my visit AND helped me narrow down my personal selection of fabrics to take home (I'll show you what I bought in a future post - they are being shipped to me and I haven't yet received all of my goodies). Without her assistance, I just may have left with half of the showroom (no, seriously!)
"This Spring's collection races and jostles into the world like a juggernaut, pulled by me and my gang, full of exciting new prints. Please enjoy the festival." - John Robshaw

19 comments:

  1. Krista,

    I've never been to the showroom, how stunning! I feel like I just got a sneak peek at my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen - thanks! This is SO your future, girl.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. STUNNING!
    Can't wait to see more!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo exciting!!! I wanna go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - his textiles are so pretty, right?
    Jennifer - this calls for a trip to NY!!!

    Thanks for your comments!
    xoxo
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  6. So it was no Indonesian open air bazaar, but showtime sure was fun! These fabrics make me want to take an exotic adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roxy - I agree, gives me the travel bug, BIG TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible post Krista! Your blog is looking fantastic as well. Hope to see and talk soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Demais Krista!!!! Nossa que tecidos maravilhosos! Imagino como foi dificil para vc escolher dentre tantos lindos!!! Eu fiquei com vontade de comprar tambem!!!! Beijos e sucesso! Ju

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am soooooo jealous! I can think of no better way to spend a morning... your photos are very inspiring, I just LOVE everything he has.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristie - thank you, thank you! See you soon.

    Ju - obrigada, irma! Mim fez tao feliz de saber que voce gostou do meu blog. Saudades de mais!

    Margaret - it was divine! I would have loved to have you there with me. We would have had such a perfect morning there together. And you would adore John. He's so engaging and kind!

    xoxo
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  12. its really a nice collection,i would like to contact u soon and yes want some details regardng the cost

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nirvana!!! Can't wait to see your fabric selection. We need a store like this in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the new blog look - very clean and crisp, and ties in perfectly aesthetically.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elise - thanks, dear sister! Had such an amazing time with you in Seattle. Thanks for hosting our WHOLE family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhh amazing photos! Love so many of these prints, I can't wait to see which you chose to take home! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I finally bought the Periwinkle quilt and sham, had been eying them for quite a while now but your blog post was just the final nudge I needed to order them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elise - hooray! Send me a pict when you get them and they are in place. What room are they going in?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts