11.19.2010

L'Aviva Love

"... the things we surround ourselves with should possess a soul, a history, and a purpose beyond mere decoration: they should help us connect to the world." - L'Aviva Home

This statement so accurately reflects how I feel about decorating and my underlying purpose with cloth & kind, it's no wonder that from the moment I entered L'Aviva Home (and then the blog - L'Aviva Home Travels) I felt immediately energized and simultaneously at home. Take a look at these images and visit L'Aviva - you'll see what I mean. 

Mexican Coverlet
Moroccan Wedding Blanket
Bolivian Alpaca Blankets
Ikat
Suazni
Turkish Hammam Towels

Lately, I've been disheartened by the fact that so many of these rich, centuries-old textile techniques from all across the world have become so mainstream. It makes me sad in a way that people are buying inaccurate reproductions with little to no knowledge about what makes them so incredibly special to begin with - the history, deeper cultural meaning and the time and love that go into each fiber and each stitch. You can't get that from a suzani pillow that you bought at Pottery Barn. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some incredible suzani and ikat reproductions lately by some very prestigious designers that I really do appreciate. It's just that I'd so much rather take the real, hand made deal - imperfections and all - any day. L'Aviva is the real deal. I am crazy about the way that each type of textile on the site is written up with a full description of the history and traditions surrounding it. It sounds like Laura Aviva and I are kindred spirits. 

I've added both L'Aviva Home and L'Aviva Home Travels to my Little Black Book and my Daily Reads (on the right hand column of my blog). It's not everyday that I feel such a connection. L'Aviva Love. Do you feel it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts