4.03.2010

RIP Domino

I should start by saying that of all the things that have creatively inspired me in my life thus far, almost nothing compares to Domino magazine (may it rest in peace). For those of you who knew and loved the title, you know that there is no other shelter title out there that did quite what Domino did to inspire all of us on a monthly basis. I have a bit of insight into this magazine because I worked for many years at Conde Nast - the title's parent company. I spent several years and Glamour and then most recently left Vanity Fair (my most favorite job ever!) when we relocated to Ohio for my husband's job. Needless to say, during my time at Conde I was a Domino junkie and always secretly hoped that someday I'd get to work there. But, alas...Domino ceased publication with the December/January 2009 issue. Part of the reason that I was so obsessed with Domino was that it was the perfect combination of home and style, eclectic and modern, yet approachable on every page. Deborah Needleman, Editor in Chief said "domino is about the whole life you live in your home, not just decorating it." and I whole-heartedly believe in this idea. Life and style go hand in hand and for me, my “whole life” includes first and foremost, my family (Michael, my partner & husband of 7 years, Alex, our nearly 3 year old, slightly mischievous son, and Tahlia Jayne, our sweet 5 month old baby girl), but very closely behind family comes interior decoration, fashion, art, organization (I’m a little bit anal, as those who know me will tell you), cooking, travel, entertaining, renovating, and so much more. Domino made interior design and style accessible to droves of people, like me, who didn't relate to the House & Garden magazines that their mothers loved or the super serious tone of Architectural Digest. It made decorating kids’ rooms just as fun of a process as decorating a master bedroom or family room. But perhaps what I loved most about Domino was that I saw style and interior design from a global perspective represented in the pages, yet in a crisp, modern way. I realize that this worldly style was not a new concept in interior design, but it was the first time that a shelter title spoke so clearly to my personal aesthetic. The suzanis from Uzbekistan, the ikats from Central Asia, the gorgeous hand block printed fabrics from India - all of these fabrics that I'd long loved from my globe-trotting childhood travels started to become relevant to me in a new and fresh way. Domino, and its talented interior designers whose work graced the pages, did such an amazing job of pairing these exquisite textiles in small, minimalist doses so that they didn’t overpower the rooms. Just a “peak-a-boo” (to quote my dear friend Rasheena) of the powerful prints were often enough to make a room special and unique. In other cases, the strong prints were all over the room, yet still tastefully done, which I also loved. I became interested in learning much more about these textiles, the art behind how they were made, the process by which the textiles spring to life, and the women half way around the world who were carrying on centuries-old traditions by making these beautiful fabrics. So needless to say, I was just a tad bit inspired by Domino (you think?) Following are a few images I had the good sense of saving from Domino before the site went down. Luckily, I have every single issue ever published sitting neatly on my library shelves for whenever I need a good dose of inspiration.
 







































































 








Thanks for visiting! I look forward to getting to know you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts