4.25.2010

Custom Light Fixtures

A fabulous way to integrate a textile that you love into a room is by using it on a simple drum lamp shade. People who are craftier than me may want to attempt this project themselves, but I chose to outsource it for fear that I'd ruin the beautiful fabric. Here's how I did it...

step i: Select the fabric. I'd actually been eyeing this pillow sham from John Robshaw for some time and knew that I had to integrate it into my daughter's room somehow. This particular hand painted textile is from the Pichhwai collection, which is a traditional Indian art form that serves to narrate tales of Krishna. Isn't it stunning?!

step ii: Find someone to work with to adhere the fabric onto the lampshade. For this project, I worked with Annie at DotandLine on Etsy and highly recommend her. She was incredibly talented, helpful and kind. The end result is this rich and colorful shade which I had converted to a ceiling mount by taking it to my local lighting shop. It could have just as easily been used on a floor lamp. 






This piece served as the design inspiration for my baby girl's entire room, which turned out damn cute if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts